Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Grandma in a Doula Capacity

                                                  


Wow, it's been quite some time since I have made any posts to my blog but what an awesome post to pick back up with...  the birth of my first grand baby.  I was invited to attend my son and daughter-in-law's birth quite some time ago and, to be quite honest, I was pleasantly surprised to be asked for a variety of reasons.  One reason was the fact that my son's mother-in-law is also a doula and since mom and daughter have such a close relationship, I assumed that she would be present at the birth, which, as it turns out, she was.  Secondly, I find it very interesting that someone would want to labor and deliver a baby in the presence of their mother, let alone, their mother-in-law.  I remember being amazed when my sister decided she would invite my mom, who is a nurse, to her births, both hospital and home.  Please don't get me wrong.  I get along well with my mom and we have a fine relationship.  I just don't feel that level of freedom and comfort to be so vulnerable in front of my mom, or mother-in-law, but I admire those who have that unique relationship.  Furthermore, I assumed that since the other doula grandma would be in attendance, along with a very capable midwife, and a more than
capable husband my presence would merely be redundant.  So there  you have it...  my not so good 
reasons for assuming I would not be needed at my first grand baby's birth.  My daughter-in-law made sure to assure me that she didn't invite me to her birth out of obligation but because she and my son felt I would be of great service and support to them while they labored.  My son, his mother-in-law, his sister-in-law, the midwife, and myself were there to witness such a precious miracle.  It was an average length for a first baby and mom did an amazing job bringing forth a beautiful son.  It was indeed a joy to support and serve my son and his wife during this awesome event and I pray that I will be able to serve in this capacity of doula Grandma again to whichever of my children would like to have me.

No comments:

Post a Comment